Skip Ribbon Commands
Skip to main content


Beer & Wine License

​​​​​​The state of Texas oversees the permitting process for the retail sale of beer and wine, and mixed beverages.  The Texas Alcoholic Beverage Commission(TABC) provides information to guide you through the process for obtaining the necessary permits. The City of Coppell is responsible only for verifying that the establishment is located in a wet area and verifying distance and location from certain protected areas. Please contact the Texas Alcoholic Beverage Commission with any questions you have concerning the licensing process. All forms must be obtained from the TABC, accurately completed and submitted to the proper state offices for necessary signatures before submitting to the City. There is no fee associated with any CITY process.​


Licensing and Enforcement/Audit and Investigations Personnel
2225 East Randol Mill Road, Suite 200
Arlington, TX 76011
(817) 652-5912
Fax: (817) 607-2492
8:00 am - 5:00 pm Monday - Friday​


Following is a quick list of the regulations for the sale and service of alcoholic beverages for on and off-premise consumption in the City of Coppell.  For complete details, please refer to City ordinances and the TABC.


Please refer to City of Coppell Ordinance Nos. 2006-1143 and 91500-A-445, as well as the TABC for complete information and regulations. 

Amended Ordinance No. 
An ordinance of the City of Coppell, Texas, amending Chapter 6 of the Code of Ordinances by adding article 6-16, alcoholic beverages; providing for prohibition of the sale of beer in residential zoning districts; providing prohibition of the sale of alcoholic beverages within a specified distance of churches, public or private schools, public hospitals and other uses.
Amended Ordinance No. 
An ordinance of the City of Coppell, Texas, amending Section 12-29-3, Subsection 3 by amending Subsection L to provide an exception for open signs; by repealing Section 12-30-16 and replacing with a new Section 12-30-16 providing new regulations for restaurants; and by amending Section 12-42-1, definitions, by amending the definition for convenience store and for outside storage and display - retail stores.
Coppell Municipal CodeOnline resource for the City's municipal code.


Permitted in grocery stores, convenience stores and other retail stores subject to all TABC regulations and measurement requirements, as detailed in ORDINANCE NO. 2006-1143. The outside storage or display and sale of product in the open is not permitted. 


Restaurants are permitted on-premise consumption.

In the event that the applicant obtains a permit to serve alcoholic beverages, it will be the applicant's responsibility to comply with all applicable provisions of the Texas Alcoholic Beverage Code, including, but not limited to the submission of Texas Alcoholic Beverage Commission Form L-101CTY "Certificate of City Secretary" and other applicable forms. (ORDINANCE NO. 2006-1143)

ALL BUSINESSES (On and Off-Premise)

Hours of Operation
The legal sale of alcoholic beverages as permitted for on-premise or off-premise consumption shall not occur after 12 midnight or before 7 a.m. except for on Sunday where such legal sale shall not occur after 12 midnight or before 12 noon. (ORDINANCE NO. 2006-1143)

Distance Requirements

Businesses located within 300 feet of church or public hospital (measured from front door to front door, along property lines of the street and in direct line across intersections) or within 300 feet of any school including private schools, day care center or day care facility (measured from property line of the school, day care center or day care facility to the nearest property line of the business, along street fronts in a direct line across intersections) must file a variance.

Variance to Distance Requirements

The City Council may, after a Public Hearing and a publication of a notice ten (10) days prior to the Hearing in the official City newspaper, allow variances to the regulation if it determines that enforcement of the regulation in a particular instance is not in the best interest of the public, constitutes waste or inefficient use of land or other resources, creates an undue hardship on an applicant for a license or permit, does not serve its intended purpose, is not effective or necessary, or for any other reason, after consideration of the health, safety, and welfare of the public and the equities of the situation, determines is in the best interest of the community. (ORDINANCE NO. 2006-1143)

Please note, that businesses located within 1,000-feet of any school, including public and private (measured from the door where the public enters and the place of businesses to the nearest property line of the public of private school) must notify the school.


Exterior signs, other than established trade names, located on the outside of the building or premises of a restaurant, shall not advertise or refer to the sale or consumption of alcoholic beverages by words or symbols.


Luminous gaseous tubing (neon), including within an enclosed building, behind glass and visible outside from the public right-of-way through a window, are not permitted.  "Open" signs are permitted. "Open" signs may not include any other wording or advertising and cannot flash, blink, or contain any movement.