COMMERCIAL CONSTRUCTION REQUIREMENTS
Updated: January 2011
A. GENERAL NOTES
1. All inspections may be scheduled online or called in to the automated system at 972-304-3518. Same day inspections will be performed for all inspections phoned in to the recorder before 7 a.m. each weekday.
2. Office hours for inspectors will usually be from 8:00 to 9:00 a.m. and from 4:00 to 4:30 p.m. The office telephone number is 972-304-3500. Extenuating circumstances will vary the hours that the inspectors are in the field.
3. For trash removal, please note that the City of Coppell contracts with Waste Management, Inc. For information regarding dumpster regulations, please contact our Environmental Health Department at 972-462-5100.
4. No construction, whatsoever, may begin until a building permit has been issued, unless otherwise approved by the building inspector.
5. Building addresses must be posted at all times. Numbers must be a minimum of four inches (4") in height, and able to be seen from the street.
6. Addresses must be posted on all temporary electrical poles.
7. City approved building plans must available on the job site when all inspections are conducted.
8. Each job trailer must have a separate permit in order to be placed on the site
9. Construction signs must be permitted before they are erected.
B. TYPES OF INSPECTIONS REQUIRED
No concrete inspection will be made unless the temperature is 38 degrees or above and rising. All inspections held back because they don't meet this requirement must be recalled by the contractor. To expedite the inspection process, please call in as many inspections as possible at any one time.
Required inspection are:
1. Plumbing rough
2. Foundation and piers (including any leave outs)
4. Electrical rough
5. Plumbing top-out*
6. Mechanical rough*
7. Electrical final or service release*
8. Water utility (except lease space finish-out jobs) through Engineering Department
9. Building final (C.O.)
10. Flat work (can be done at any time) through Engineering Department *Ceiling inspection is done by Fire Marshal and Commercial Building Inspector
C. COMMERCIAL INSPECTION REQUIREMENTS
PLUMBING ROUGH: (Per 2009 International Plumbing Code)
1. Five foot (5') head of water on stack farthest from sewer tap.
2. All fixtures must be stack-vented, including floor drains, unless unable to stack vent because of structural conditions and prior approval is granted by the Building Official.
3. Floor drains must have trap primers.
1. Everything must conform with the engineered plans.
2. The post tension drawing must be on the job with the detail sheet and the plot plan.
1. Plan must be approved by a structural engineer and on job site.
2. All concrete leave-outs must be inspected.
Plumbing Top-Out: (Per 2009 International Plumbing Code)
Electrical Rough: (Per 2011 National Electrical Code)
1. A ground must be connected to the cold water piping. A supplemental ground must also be supplied.
2. The minimum size service that will be accepted is 100 amps.
3. Where a panel or disconnect device is tapped more than one time, approved lugs shall be provided.
4. Armored cable (bx) shall not be used or installed in the city as a wiring method unless a full-size grounding conductor is used.
Mechanical Rough: (Per 2009 International Mechanical Code)
1. Air conditioning condensate drains must be tied into a wet trap.
2. In attic coils, a secondary drain must be installed with the condensate line discharging at approved location.
3. Condensate drains must be installed with an air break.
4. Horizontal runs on water heater and furnace flue vents must not exceed seventy-five percent (75%) of the height of the vent.
5. Bath exhaust fan ducts must extend to outside air.
1. A low pressure test must be performed of not less than fifteen (15) psi for 15 minutes.
2. A medium pressure test must be performed of not less than sixty (60) psi for 30 minutes.
Framing: (Per 2009 International Building Code)
1. Metal studs must be screwed at top and bottom plate.
2. Bottom plate must be ramset.
Energy: (Per 2009 International Energy Conservation Code) Note: Inspection performed by Building Inspector
(only if job does not require energy compliance), or by Certified Energy Code Inspector
ELECTRICAL FINAL: (Service release with approval)
1. Cover must be off of breaker box.
2. Both grounds installed, cold water and building steel clamps are to be tight.
3. Required receptacles installed.
WATER UTILITY FINAL: (Except lease space finish-outs jobs)
Note: Inspection performed by Engineering Department
BUILDING FINAL (C.O.):
1. Approval by Building Inspections Department.
2. Approval by the Engineering Department.
3. Approval of the Fire Marshal.
4. Approval by the Planning Department.
5. Approval by the Leisure Services Department.
Note: Inspection performed by Engineering Department, anytime during.