Criteria for Requesting an Accident Report
During the 84th Legislative Session, Texas Transportation Code Section 550.065 now allows for the release of a crash report on written request and upon payment of the required fee to any person directly concerned in the accident or having proper interest therein, including:
- (A) Any person involved in the accident
- (B) The authorized representative of any person involved in the accident
- (C) A driver involved in the accident
- (D) An employer, parent or legal guardian of a driver involved in the accident
- (E) The owner of a vehicle or property damaged in the accident
- (F) A person who has established financial responsibility for a vehicle involved in the accident in a manner described in Texas Transportation Code 601.501, including a policyholder of a motor vehicle
- (G) An insurance company that issued an insurance policy covering a vehicle involved in the accident
- (H) An insurance company that issued a policy covering any person involved in the accident
- (I) A person under contract to provide claims or underwriting to a person described in sections (F), (G) or (H)
- (J) A radio or television station that holds a license issued by the Federal Communications Commission
- (K) A newspaper that is a free newspaper of general circulation or qualified under Section 2051.044, Government Code, to publish legal notices; published at least once a week; and available and of interest to the general public in connection with the dissemination of news
- (L) Any person who may sue because of death resulting from the accident.
- (M) Any agency of the United States, this state (Texas), or a local government of this state (Texas)
If a person or entity does not meet any of these criteria, the Texas Department of Transportation does provide the option on the CR-91 form to provide a detailed explanation as to how they meet the criteria in a manner that is not listed in the above reasons (A) through (M). Persons or entities who do not meet the criteria will receive a redacted copy of the crash report.
Request a Report
Please submit our online Accident Report Request Form.